Hey all, I'm Melissa, 4th person in this summer FOX intern program. Since the last post, we have met with a representative from Brandywine Realty and discussed the goals he sees for the space. Flexibility, so that the space could be adjusted to the needs of the workers, and security, a secure division between the members and nonmembers, were discussed in each of our designs. In addition, he was very interested in the numbers; how many people could fit comfortably at one time and how much money would this bring in were important aspects. Overall, however, building a third space came off as risky and experimental because it is a new idea. I think I can speak for everyone when I say I wasn't the only one who left with dread that I would have to redesign my idea. Yesterday we met at Northside Social (refer to tweet) and came to the conclusion that we would each address these issues but also try to find evidence that people want to work in a space unlike the office and home, and it will make money or provide an amenity which will attract more tenants.
On a side note, yesterday was my first trip to Clarendon area and Northside Social. I noticed the area around the metro was filled with established restaurants and bars. It was friendly, with a small green area outside the metro and buildings that weren't very tall, and many people were gathering for lunch or informal meetings. Northside Social seemed like an ath10tik cafe with seating outdoors, inside and on a small mezzanine level. The only downside was the lack of outlets, typical. I plan to make a trip back to explore the area more.
This summer has really gived me the chance to explore D.C. and the surrounding areas that I used to not think so fondly of. But I'm seeing a side to the nation's capitol that I hadn't expected; a mix of personalities that cover everyone, hidden beneath the tourists and politics. So far, my favorite place has been wandering the neighborhoods of Adams Morgan where it feels like old buildings have been given a new life. It's growing on me.
No comments:
Post a Comment